Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,124    Downloads: 827,694   Msgs Posted: 110,711   Thread Views: 16,394,371   Online Now: 71
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > General Chit Chat - Sports or Niagara related

Notices

General Chit Chat - Sports or Niagara related General sports talk or any discussions about topics within the Niagara Region

Old 10-13-2007, 06:32 PM
2nd Line

Cold Pooch has a spectacular aura aboutCold Pooch has a spectacular aura aboutCold Pooch has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by strohs View Post
Hey thats a really good idea, lol, I'm gonna work on that.

For my purposes, I'm just going to list the city as per where the team plays, so for Niagara, it will just be St. Catharines (although, yes, I realize, its supposed to be a regional team, however, I'm sure lots of other teams also draw from the surrounding areas...I dont have time to calculate everyone's "region").

When I get it done, I'll post it here.

Glad to see that this has opened up some eyes...exactly why I keep complaining about our attendance...with this team, there is no excuse why we are not selling out AT LEAST the seats (2800) for every game....perhaps the late June arrival has something to do with it...although, I would have a hard time believing that a lot of people in Niagara still don't know the OHL is back..

Perhaps we simply are not a hockey town?
As for the region I never thought of that. IF the stats where for an entire region for all the teams the numbers would surely change, case in point -- "Mississagua whatyamacallets" -- The Greater TO area.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:34 PM
Serving a Suspension

rowdi29 will become famous soon enough
Default die-hards

thats right and thats why no team in this city has or ever will last beyond two years. Even the diehards dont make everygame.2500 maybe but 2018 no way, i dont care how many sweaters we sell. you watch im thinkin less then 2000 on sunday, anyone care to wager?...lol i hope im wrong.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:38 PM
3rd Line

Chooch is on a distinguished road

I'm not knocking the arena, it's all we have for now and I'm grateful we have a team. It's just that I doubt that the fan base will grow much larger because there will be a certain percentage of the population out there who wont go because the building is old, tight, wooden seats, location, parking, walking, etc...

I'm attending as many games as I can, but many wont because of the rink.

Old 10-13-2007, 06:38 PM
All Star

ItsGameTime has a reputation beyond reputeItsGameTime has a reputation beyond reputeItsGameTime has a reputation beyond reputeItsGameTime has a reputation beyond reputeItsGameTime has a reputation beyond reputeItsGameTime has a reputation beyond reputeItsGameTime has a reputation beyond reputeItsGameTime has a reputation beyond reputeItsGameTime has a reputation beyond reputeItsGameTime has a reputation beyond reputeItsGameTime has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe those diehards could tell a few people about the team and then we could sell a few more tickets!

With 132,000 people in St. Catharines alone each person in this town only has to come see one game and we'd be laughing!
Old 10-13-2007, 06:46 PM
3rd Line

Chooch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdi29 View Post
you watch im thinkin less then 2000 on sunday, anyone care to wager?...lol i hope im wrong.
I hope you're wrong too but it seems to be leveling off around 2000, and I'm sticking to my guns about it being the arena. I disagree though about lasting only two years. I predict talks for a new rink will start somewhere in the region before the 5 years is up. Let's hope the ownership has lots of patience.

Old 10-13-2007, 07:19 PM
2nd Line

slamr has a reputation beyond reputeslamr has a reputation beyond reputeslamr has a reputation beyond reputeslamr has a reputation beyond reputeslamr has a reputation beyond reputeslamr has a reputation beyond reputeslamr has a reputation beyond reputeslamr has a reputation beyond reputeslamr has a reputation beyond reputeslamr has a reputation beyond reputeslamr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsGameTime View Post
Maybe those diehards could tell a few people about the team and then we could sell a few more tickets!

With 132,000 people in St. Catharines alone each person in this town only has to come see one game and we'd be laughing!
Jeez...it's not like I haven't tried.
For every person I get to come out there are a whack more who just don't want to make the effort.
Oooohhhh and I have heard all the excuses you could imagine as to why they won't come.
  • Bad arena
  • Bad seats
  • Poor parking
  • Too much $$$
  • No kids prices
  • I only watch NHL
  • The planets aren't in proper alignment
  • And my personal favourite..."What's the use, they'll be gone in a couple of years anyway. People around here don't support anything."
Most of them have never seen an OHL game and they think it's pretty much like Jr.B only more money (and they don't go to "B" games either). As much as I try, I can't convince them to come out and give it a shot. They just shrug and say "whatever."
I can't tell you how frustrating that is.

Back when the IceDogs office first opened up, I talked to Jon. I told him that the arena and parking were going to be their biggest hurdles for this to be a success. It looks like apathy is right up there too. Jon didn't seem overly concerned at the time. I wonder how he feels about it today?

I applaud Mr. Burke and all his efforts (and money) to butter up the arena as best as he can.

We will never know for sure if a new rink will reverse the trend until it's built. I just hope we get that chance but if people won't come to this one, then what chance do we have?
Old 10-13-2007, 07:30 PM
3rd Line

Boner is on a distinguished road

More involvement into the "region" is another reason I would say. Noone in Welland really knows what an IceDog is yet. The Boston Pizza 'Celebrity' Server idea is a push in the right direction, but there is a LARGE hockey community in Welland and if even a day camp in Welland with a few IceDogs was scheduled, it would bring some hype to the Rose City. I think now media coverage and EXCITEMENT needs to take over this region to pack that place out for every game. If everyone knew exactly what they were missing out on watching these great games, it would change alot of perspectives, imo.

Cheers
-Boner
Old 10-13-2007, 07:51 PM
Serving a Suspension

rowdi29 will become famous soon enough
Default marketing the team

What marketing, i still dont see a banner that says home of the icedogs over any highway overpasses, how expensive would that be?. How many pepole would see that as they drive through the city huh?. what about senior / student/ child admission 10 or 12 bucks howmany more butts would that put in the seats? things that could be worth thinking about. I didnt even see any promo in paper tonite advertising tomorrows game, i guess everyones just supposed to know theres a game tomorrow. these are the little things that could make a difference. what do you's think?
Old 10-13-2007, 08:06 PM
2nd Line

Cold Pooch has a spectacular aura aboutCold Pooch has a spectacular aura aboutCold Pooch has a spectacular aura about

When the minor leagues start to get going then more kids will be at the games. Every OHL team has packages which they sell to teams from their drawing areas.

Another way that the word will get out is when the IceDogs players themselves get to participate in Minor Hockey teams practices. When a kid skates with a Dog they will surely come out to watch them.

As for marketing this team has done a fantastic job. I am not from the area and I hear about them on "Htz fm" every morning. The Standard and Cogeco have done a stellar job as well. If someone lives under a rock it does not matter what a team tries to do.

Hell we have players which have been drafted, with one to a team just right across the border and kids who will play on our National teams. These top players are allways on TV and the news. If this isn't marketing then I don't know what is.

I think the hardcore fans should just stop worrying about the non-fans and just watch some good hockey. Ulcers and the like are not worth it.

When this team goes deep into the playoffs then the fans will come for many years. This is when the hard core fans can rub it in their noses and say "I TOLD U SO". I am not worried.

Last edited by Cold Pooch; 10-13-2007 at 08:08 PM.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:16 PM
All Star

GoDogsGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoDogsGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoDogsGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoDogsGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoDogsGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoDogsGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoDogsGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoDogsGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoDogsGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoDogsGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoDogsGo has a reputation beyond repute

alot of good points have been made... but really... if someone doesnt want to go and watch the game...they wont go..simple as that. I know that the icedogs have several programs going on for minor hockey...mini games during intermission....i think there are plans to have some icedogs attend practices, camps for kids during PA days etc.. there are more and more things happening every week... again...lets not forget that this club just arrived in june....and we're talking on here like they have been here for years... I truly belive that this is a hockey town...we have a jr b team...now an ohl team...a university team...and a wack of minor hockey organizations...I would bet 8 of 10 kids play hockey in the city...getting people to come to the games takes time...i bet some are still hesitant as they dont know if the club will stay...so why invest in something that may not be here next year...I think the message needs to be clear to the fans...region...city... icedogs are here to stay...so start supporting the team and enjoy yourselves. I would love to see a commercial on CHCH tv promoting the icedogs....i hope that will happen soon...

Last edited by GoDogsGo; 10-13-2007 at 09:19 PM.