Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,713    Downloads: 1,603,881   Msgs Posted: 129,095   Thread Views: 26,303,456   Online Now: 107
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

Old 03-20-2019, 04:06 PM
1st Line

conchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond repute

That hire by Barrie makes me think that Marty was not the culprit in the recruiting violation otherwise I am sure most teams would be steering well clear of him. Congratulations Marty and good luck in your additional role.
The Following User Says Thank You to conchar For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2019, 04:15 PM
1st Line

61jr has much to be proud of61jr has much to be proud of61jr has much to be proud of61jr has much to be proud of61jr has much to be proud of61jr has much to be proud of61jr has much to be proud of61jr has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 for fighting View Post
The TSN article says otherwise:

ďThe IceDogs maintain that they never made that promise, which would have contravened the rules of the league.Ē
Matt and DJ Retweeted OntarioHockeyLeague
Just spoke with GM Burke who said "This is exactly why we made staff changes at the end of the 2016 season, this has absolutely nothing to do with any current players or staff members.

Why would they make staff changes if nothing happened? I think what they are implying in the TSN article that "The Icedogs" are "The Burkes"/current management, not "The Icedogs" meaning "Everyone who has worked for the team". Now, the statement above that I have added didn't come directly through them, it came from Matt & DJ, so that's not necessarily an "official" team statement. They did release a public statement:

All current Niagara IceDogs players and hockey operations staff have no involvement in the sanctions assessed today by the Ontario Hockey League. An appeal will be filed.

No further comment will be made.

http://niagaraicedogs.net/article/re...-ohl-sanctions

That fits, with the quote given to Matt & DJ relating to staffing changes - which again implies "it happened, but we knew nothing about it and took action when we found out". That should potentially mitigate the penalty, but it wouldn't eliminate the penalty. Otherwise, every team just has a "scapegoat" to make all of the offers on behalf of the team, and if they get caught, they fire that guy (probably with a nice thank you severance package) and tell the league "we got rid of the problem, it wasn't us, it was him".
The Following User Says Thank You to 61jr For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2019, 04:17 PM
Team Captain

dogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchar View Post
That hire by Barrie makes me think that Marty was not the culprit in the recruiting violation otherwise I am sure most teams would be steering well clear of him. Congratulations Marty and good luck in your additional role.
I donít think this hire changes any of this honestly I donít see how Marty wasnít involved if it was a couple of years ago he was still GM then
Old 03-20-2019, 05:10 PM

Thanked 3,381 Times in 1,845 Posts
NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogs777 View Post
I donít think this hire changes any of this honestly I donít see how Marty wasnít involved if it was a couple of years ago he was still GM then
Two answers for that:

1) They released their head scout too. It is very easy to blame Marty for everything, but there are other moving parts in the organization who have contact with players and try to sway a decision.

2) Barrie doesn't care or has a better practice to guard against that. If I were the Niagara IceDogs, my standard player agreement would include language to the effect that no other offers or agreements (expressed or implied) are being offered by the organization.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:14 PM

NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfan51 View Post
The team was accused, they denied and even went as far as suing them to prove their innocence. The accuser backed down because they had nothing and paid the team to avoid going to court.

I think the questions you refer to was answered big time.
Very aggressive tactic, so either they did nothing wrong or the accuser was shaky on how his case would pan out in court. In a civil case, you can also sue for costs.

I don't see the IceDogs going that route, but I do see them getting an injunction and appealing the sanction in that the party who made the deal was not authorized to do so, that the team knew nothing about it and that the offending party is not part of the organization any longer. The OHL would have to have proof to the contrary not to accede to that.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:17 PM

Email to Season Ticket Holders:

As announced by the Ontario Hockey League office, the sanctions assessed on February 15th have been reduced to a $150,000 fine and one first-round pick in the 2021 OHL Priority Selection.

Prior to the 2016-17 season, we had a problem with scouting and recruiting. We addressed the problem and had moved forward.

We are hoping that you will move forward with us, as we continue our quest to bring the Memorial Cup to Niagara!

Thank you for your continued support and GO-DOGS-GO!

Bill and Denise
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NiceDawg For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2019, 05:17 PM
1st Line

TwoPadStack has a reputation beyond reputeTwoPadStack has a reputation beyond reputeTwoPadStack has a reputation beyond reputeTwoPadStack has a reputation beyond reputeTwoPadStack has a reputation beyond reputeTwoPadStack has a reputation beyond reputeTwoPadStack has a reputation beyond reputeTwoPadStack has a reputation beyond reputeTwoPadStack has a reputation beyond reputeTwoPadStack has a reputation beyond reputeTwoPadStack has a reputation beyond repute

Well there we have it. Onward and upwards

Quote:
Good evening Season Ticket Holders,
As announced by the Ontario Hockey League office, the sanctions assessed on February 15th have been reduced to a $150,000 fine and one first-round pick in the 2021 OHL Priority Selection.

Prior to the 2016-17 season, we had a problem with scouting and recruiting. We addressed the problem and had moved forward.

We are hoping that you will move forward with us, as we continue our quest to bring the Memorial Cup to Niagara!
Old 03-20-2019, 05:19 PM

Here is the link:

http://ontariohockeyleague.com/artic...iagara-icedogs
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NiceDawg For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2019, 05:26 PM
Team Captain

dogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDawg View Post
Two answers for that:

1) They released their head scout too. It is very easy to blame Marty for everything, but there are other moving parts in the organization who have contact with players and try to sway a decision.

2) Barrie doesn't care or has a better practice to guard against that. If I were the Niagara IceDogs, my standard player agreement would include language to the effect that no other offers or agreements (expressed or implied) are being offered by the organization.
If what the email sent to us (season ticket holders) is 100% factual he played a part in this IMO
Old 03-20-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDawg View Post
Generally if you admit an allegation, the accepted sanction is less. Windsor went from $450k to 250. If Niagara's starts there, $100k and one year draft penalty is reasonable.
Close... missed by $50k
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NiceDawg For This Useful Post: