Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,849    Downloads: 2,832,630   Msgs Posted: 140,809   Thread Views: 47,907,868   Online Now: 119
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:24 PM
Top Prospect

AuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to AuldBone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogs777 View Post
I excepted to see that same thing when I saw they made a trade but a lot of those guys seem to spend a lot of the game in the box now so maybe they donít want to get into that (they can always play Howard up)
That is true. And there is precedent for it. Lochead spent almost his entire first season playing F.

I can see why this trade was made. McGrath has only really played for bad Sudbury teams, will be interesting to see how he performs with a good team in front of him. Of course that means that they're going to have to stop riding Dhillon so hard, and actually give him 'REAL' nights off. Like, sitting in the press box, watching the game.

I still think you have to give Sbaraglia a few games down the stretch. Very occasional starts against teams like Kingston, Erie, Barrie, and Flint. Give McGrath a shot at fair to middling teams, and Dhillon gets everyone else. Mostly because as it stood yesterday, if Dhillon got hurt... Well things might have been dicey... Now... Well we're a bit more protected.

McGrath has a good # of games played (about 100) in the OHL, he is a bonafide #2 for Dhillon (much like Incze was, but I digress)... He fills a role, a good pickup, at a fair price... No way he's back next season...
Old 01-10-2019, 12:26 PM
1st Line

TwoPadStack has a reputation beyond reputeTwoPadStack has a reputation beyond reputeTwoPadStack has a reputation beyond reputeTwoPadStack has a reputation beyond reputeTwoPadStack has a reputation beyond reputeTwoPadStack has a reputation beyond reputeTwoPadStack has a reputation beyond reputeTwoPadStack has a reputation beyond reputeTwoPadStack has a reputation beyond reputeTwoPadStack has a reputation beyond reputeTwoPadStack has a reputation beyond repute

I have a strong respect for McGrath's game. I like his positioning, I like his reflexes and he is exciting to watch. I'm completely ok with this.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TwoPadStack For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2019, 12:42 PM
Curmudgeon

Thanked 2,582 Times in 1,484 Posts
strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!

I said earlier on here that if Dhillon ever were to get hurt in the playoffs the Dogs would be screwed so I’m glad they got a bona fide backup goalie for minimal cost .

I don’t even care what they gave up I’m just glad they were smart enough to identify that this needed to be addressed.

I’m sure Sbargs will get the odd bone thrown him ... but for now he can get some good grades, watch some good hockey from the stands, and see what it takes to be an OHL starter ...

Good move JB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strohs For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2019, 12:45 PM
Team Captain

Thanked 1,069 Times in 865 Posts
dogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuldBone View Post
That is true. And there is precedent for it. Lochead spent almost his entire first season playing F.

I can see why this trade was made. McGrath has only really played for bad Sudbury teams, will be interesting to see how he performs with a good team in front of him. Of course that means that they're going to have to stop riding Dhillon so hard, and actually give him 'REAL' nights off. Like, sitting in the press box, watching the game.

I still think you have to give Sbaraglia a few games down the stretch. Very occasional starts against teams like Kingston, Erie, Barrie, and Flint. Give McGrath a shot at fair to middling teams, and Dhillon gets everyone else. Mostly because as it stood yesterday, if Dhillon got hurt... Well things might have been dicey... Now... Well we're a bit more protected.

McGrath has a good # of games played (about 100) in the OHL, he is a bonafide #2 for Dhillon (much like Incze was, but I digress)... He fills a role, a good pickup, at a fair price... No way he's back next season...
I think Iíd still give sbaraglia at least 2 starts this month tomorrow being 1 and Flint next week and Iíd give Jake Windsor and Erie and heck maybe even Hamilton
The Following User Says Thank You to dogs777 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2019, 01:36 PM
Top Prospect

AuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to AuldBone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogs777 View Post
I think Iíd still give sbaraglia at least 2 starts this month tomorrow being 1 and Flint next week and Iíd give Jake Windsor and Erie and heck maybe even Hamilton
I was thinking along the same line, have Sbaraglia and McGrath (with Sbaraglia starting) against Flint. Dhillon getting a much deserved opportunity to watch. I'd probably have Sbaraglia start vs Erie wash the memory of that last start off him. He was given nothing that game...

I would probably give Dhillon Guelph tonight and next Sunday, McGrath would get Kingston tomorrow, just to get him into the swing of things, then Dhillon gets the start in Sudbury this Sunday.

The truth is Dhillon does need to be our starter for the majority of starts. He's the one that the coaching staff has confidence in (earned or not, that's not up for discussion here). But... I would prefer if he was starting the playoffs with less than 50 gp.

He played in 52 last season, and looked a bit tired/sick/hurt in the Hamilton playoff series. He's got 32 games in this season already. So... With a trustworthy backup, maybe they can keep him fresh. A fresh/healthy Dhillon can steal a series. A beaten up/worn down Dhillon does not.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:55 PM
Team Captain

dogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuldBone View Post
I was thinking along the same line, have Sbaraglia and McGrath (with Sbaraglia starting) against Flint. Dhillon getting a much deserved opportunity to watch. I'd probably have Sbaraglia start vs Erie wash the memory of that last start off him. He was given nothing that game...

I would probably give Dhillon Guelph tonight and next Sunday, McGrath would get Kingston tomorrow, just to get him into the swing of things, then Dhillon gets the start in Sudbury this Sunday.

The truth is Dhillon does need to be our starter for the majority of starts. He's the one that the coaching staff has confidence in (earned or not, that's not up for discussion here). But... I would prefer if he was starting the playoffs with less than 50 gp.

He played in 52 last season, and looked a bit tired/sick/hurt in the Hamilton playoff series. He's got 32 games in this season already. So... With a trustworthy backup, maybe they can keep him fresh. A fresh/healthy Dhillon can steal a series. A beaten up/worn down Dhillon does not.
Every time one of the other two play Dhillon is always in the press box for me. I’d start sbaraglia tomorrow forget washing the memory away next time you play Erie (he’s probably done that already anyway) I’d get him in ASAP and that’s tomorrow IMO. I agree Dhillon does have to be the starter and the coaching staff has confidence in him (glad they do but he still scares me) I think he was beaten up/worn down more because of the amount of shots Hamilton put up game after game more than his regular season starts (but that’s just a guess)
The Following User Says Thank You to dogs777 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2019, 02:08 PM
1st Line

5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute

I wish they had picked up another defenceman. With only 7 on the roster and the Dogs expecting a long playoff run, I hope no one gets hurt long term. As we have seen over the last 5 or 6 games, the Dogs donít really have anyone they can call up and play meaningful minutes.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:42 PM
1st Line

slamr has a reputation beyond reputeslamr has a reputation beyond reputeslamr has a reputation beyond reputeslamr has a reputation beyond reputeslamr has a reputation beyond reputeslamr has a reputation beyond reputeslamr has a reputation beyond reputeslamr has a reputation beyond reputeslamr has a reputation beyond reputeslamr has a reputation beyond reputeslamr has a reputation beyond repute

I really don’t know how this played out in the eyes of management but for me that Erie game showed me that the kid is not yet ready to be a reliable backup for a team that’s going for it. Yes, he had little support in front of him that game. so what that did was expose his weaknesses. Rebound control definitely needs some work. I think it’ll come for the kid but not this season.
I think the team realized that this move had to be done because if anything happened to Dhillon we would be toast.

Also, it’s easy to talk about the obvious contenders in the playoffs but what about the dark horses.
Does anybody remember the 2007 playoffs when Sebastian Dahm put a very average Sudbury team on his back and they rode him all the way to the finals before finally losing to Plymouth?
Can this Sudbury team do the same with Luukkonen? They didn’t win a single game while he was at the world juniors. Should be an interesting season finish.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:54 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamr View Post
I really donít know how this played out in the eyes of management but for me that Erie game showed me that the kid is not yet ready to be a reliable backup for a team thatís going for it. Yes, he had little support in front of him that game. so what that did was expose his weaknesses. Rebound control definitely needs some work. I think itíll come for the kid but not this season.
I think the team realized that this move had to be done because if anything happened to Dhillon we would be toast.

Also, itís easy to talk about the obvious contenders in the playoffs but what about the dark horses.
Does anybody remember the 2007 playoffs when Sebastian Dahm put a very average Sudbury team on his back and they rode him all the way to the finals before finally losing to Plymouth?
Can this Sudbury team do the same with Luukkonen? They didnít win a single game while he was at the world juniors. Should be an interesting season finish.
I think IF the team showed up against Erie Iíd agree with you but since they didnít I donít think that game meant much against the kid. I think his rebound control has been fine other than that game which well everyone has those nights the starters rebound control should worry people more cause thatís almost an every game thing
Old 01-10-2019, 04:30 PM
2nd Line

g_squad has much to be proud ofg_squad has much to be proud ofg_squad has much to be proud ofg_squad has much to be proud ofg_squad has much to be proud ofg_squad has much to be proud ofg_squad has much to be proud ofg_squad has much to be proud ofg_squad has much to be proud ofg_squad has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by modaymorninggm View Post
I totally disagree with your comments on the boys. Billy has paid his dues and is turning out to be a very good OHL coach. Joey has demonstrated great hockey smarts with outstanding trades and might well be the next great young hockey mind ala Kyle Dubas who also made his name in Junior hockey
Thanks Bill but your boy(s) absolutely got fleeced on numerous trades this season.

- Lochead for a 3rd - should have been at least a 2nd with a conditional pick for performance (team or personal).

- Too many picks for Robertson & Paquette - if we had only given Martin, I would say the picks were decent but to give up Constantinou as well, there should have been 2 or 3 less picks.

- Too many picks for Studnicka & Brassard - jury is out for me on Brassard but Moore + 1 or 2 picks should have got Studnicka. That would mean the rest of the picks were for Brassard - significant overpay.

- The handling of the Incze situation. If he wasn't going to get ice he should have been traded much earlier (for Colton's benefit) perhaps even last year.

- I will give credit for the Chris Paquette to Peterborough trade last year. Getting 4 picks for Paquette was a stroke of genius.

I'm not even going to get into the rumours of the on again / off again trades with Oshawa or Owen Sound. I'm also not saying he can't become a good GM. He is inexperienced. He hasn't paid his dues yet. He needs to learn and grow. I believe he has brought in players that are going to make the Dogs a strong candidate to make it to Halifax but it could have been done cheaper. Joey will learn and be better for it.