Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,451    Downloads: 1,215,182   Msgs Posted: 122,186   Thread Views: 21,771,733   Online Now: 82
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

Old 07-31-2017, 11:58 AM
Team Captain

Thanked 3,024 Times in 1,391 Posts
hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!
Default And the IceDogs new HC is...

And it's Billy.

Niagara IceDogs‏Verified account @OHLIceDogs

ANNOUNCEMENT: IceDogs promote long time assistant coach! #READFULL http://bit.ly/2f0DTec
Old 07-31-2017, 12:17 PM
Resident OHL Expert

Thanked 2,563 Times in 1,064 Posts
fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey123 View Post
And it's Billy.

Niagara IceDogs‏Verified account @OHLIceDogs

ANNOUNCEMENT: IceDogs promote long time assistant coach! #READFULL http://bit.ly/2f0DTec
http://niagaraicedogs.net/article/ic...ssistant-coach
Old 07-31-2017, 12:21 PM
Big League

Thanked 1,489 Times in 916 Posts
retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfan51 View Post
And your thoughts on this move Fish........ please..
Old 07-31-2017, 01:02 PM
Resident OHL Expert

Thanked 2,563 Times in 1,064 Posts
fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired/sectionJ View Post
And your thoughts on this move Fish........ please..
IMHO, Junior shouldn't have been handed an assistant coach job to begin with. He had zero experience in coaching. But was handed a job behind an OHL bench because his parents own the club. He didn't spend any time behind a bench at any level but was handed a pretty good gig in the OHL.

Having said that, I now believe he has paid his dues. He has 8 years behind an OHL bench. That's more experience than a lot of other guys that get promoted. He knows the staff, scouts, players, etc. I'm willing to let him take the reigns and see what he can do.

I have the same questions everyone else has.... If he shows he's not a good head coach, has poor results, or isn't ready, will he be held accountable by his parents or by his brother? Will it take some time for him to prove himself and will it hurt recruiting until he does?

I wish him the best, I hope he turns out to be a great coach that leads this team to the promised land.

Go Dogs!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fishfan51 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2017, 05:24 PM
Team Captain

Thanked 3,024 Times in 1,391 Posts
hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!

I'll go into this year with an open mind and bite my tongue until at least Christmas. Best case scenario is these 2 brothers workout great and work hand in hand for the next 2 decades putting a great product on the ice. Like FF said his resume isn't bad. He's played in this league, captained a CIAU team and been an assistant for 8 years now. I would have liked to see him as a head coach in B or some where else for a year or 2 at some point but at the end of the day his credentials are not horrible. Let's just hope he works out because he's not going away any time soon.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hockey123 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2017, 07:15 PM
3rd Line

the octopus is a jewel in the roughthe octopus is a jewel in the roughthe octopus is a jewel in the rough

You guys are wearing the rose colored glasses. The owner's son should not be the head coach of the team nor the general manager.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:24 PM
4th Line

Paws and Reflect is just really nicePaws and Reflect is just really nicePaws and Reflect is just really nicePaws and Reflect is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by the octopus View Post
You guys are wearing the rose colored glasses. The owner's son should not be the head coach of the team nor the general manager.
I think I have seen this movie before, it was Billy Madison. He takes over the family run business after he completes 12 years of elementary and high school in 12 weeks. All kidding aside he has been an assistant for the past 8 years, has played in the league and has been mentored by some fine coaches. After 10 years of being a loyal icedog seasons ticket holder I have not renewed this year due to our snow birding adventures in the south each winter. I think the product and the team will be fine. The Burkes have meticulously taken this franchise to a higher level and I don't believe they are about to let that all go down the drain. I'm sure there will be contingency plans. Go Dogs Go !!
The Following User Says Thank You to Paws and Reflect For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2017, 07:41 PM
Big League

dogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think anyone's wearing rose-coloured glasses here. I think what I have seen is people saying 'Well, it's done now, there's nothing we can do about it, I hope it works out well.' I think we all have the same concerns. These sorts of setups rarely work well, but you never know.
The closest parallel I can think of is the Calgary Flames, when they had Darryl Sutter as Head Coach and GM, with Rich and Ron as Director of Scouting, and Head Scout respectively. But that's team management, which is typically kept separate from ownership. This is all but unprecedented, as far as I know.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:06 PM
Serving a Suspension

pg007 is absolutely hated by otherspg007 is absolutely hated by otherspg007 is absolutely hated by otherspg007 is absolutely hated by others

this is how i see it billy says to joey you cant fire me mom says so
Old 07-31-2017, 09:46 PM
Big League

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,147 Posts
Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!

IceDogs promote Billy Burke to head coach position
By Bernd Franke

“It’s no secret that’s how I got the opportunity my first year, no doubt about it,” he said Monday. “But I started in the press box, it’s not like I started right behind the bench as head coach eight years ago.

“Anyone who thinks that I’m here now strictly because of nepotism has obviously never met me and has no idea what they are talking about.”

“My parents are extremly successful people for a reason,” he said. “My brother and I aren’t a couple of flakes who get everything handed to us, we worked for it, the IceDogs are our life.

“We bleed this. There are no days off, we are always talking about this, thinking about how we can get better.”

Billy Burke understands there are people who “rolled their eyes” when he was named to succeed Bell.
“It just comes with the territory,” he said. “Every coach in sports has naysayers and has haters, the anonymous trolls who will squawk on the internet.”

“If people aren’t talking about us, that means they don’t care about us,” he said. “Fans care. They want the team to be successful and so do I.”

“I am ready to make the step up,” he said. “ I’ve been an assistant coach for eight years here, I’ve seen everything, I’ve been to the finals twice.