Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,417    Downloads: 1,180,723   Msgs Posted: 120,940   Thread Views: 21,157,676   Online Now: 196
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

Old 12-23-2009, 03:56 PM
3rd Line

Lonewolf has upset more than just a few in the past

I will say Lessio !!
Coaches: look who is here !! There are far more experienced and liked coaches out there !I can't say anymore as it would be a character slurr (although a true one)
Yes those are quality individuals - but i will refer to Desousa
It's true, The St Louis Blues don't publish their strategic plans in the newspaper !
The arena is disgraceful. Best and most economical seat in the house - the Ushers !
Old 12-23-2009, 04:45 PM
DogFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
I don't think that the loyal followers of our Ice Dogs realize how low the opinion of the Ice Dogs has fallen in the Hockey Community!

- players won't come here
- coaches won't coach here
- quality players won't stay here
- NHL teams don't want their top prospects playing here. Don't you know that is why Petro is stuck at 9 games in the NHL.
The BLues want him traded out of town!

- Ice Dog fans don't realize how poorly treated season ticket holders are treated compared to other OHL francises
- the lack of crowd control, adequate space to socialize in etc. is crazy.
Really?

Players don't come here? Well that is true there has been a couple players that have not reported, that happens to every team in the league. Not just here.
Coaches will not come here? Who have they asked? They kept McCourt to save some money and never looked outside the organization. So to say coaches will not come here is isn't at all accurate.
Quality players will not stay here? Three players have left the organization and all three have the same agent, and have received the same bad advice from an agent that overvalues his clients. He told Scott Fletcher he was a top 4 defenceman in the OHL, how well did that work out for Fletch? He's told DeSousa and Gilbert they were top flight players in this league and nobody is knocking down doors to get either player. DeSousa will get done after Christmas and the IceDogs will get a decent return but certainly not the first line player he's been told he's worth.
NHL teams don't want their players here? So far the Blues are the only team to look to have the players moved. Why wouldn't they. This team has nobody for Pietrangelo to play with and nobody to protect him. Not really all that unusual.

I don't know what other teams give there STH, so I can't really comment on that.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:25 PM
3rd Line

SmokinPuck will become famous soon enough

The organization on a whole is close to last in the league. I've heard that from many players. Coach is not of the caliber of other teams and owners are making this a family affair bringing in their kid as a coach. Arena is old and out dated, I personally like it, but players are not happy with amentities. Also, why not name a captain instead of waiting for Petro, he doesn't want to come back and St. Louis doesn't want him with the team, what are they going to teach him? Players leave because they get frustrated and while they or their agents try to work within the system in truth the teams hold all the cards and kids walking away is common. I ran into Fletcher last spring during playoffs and he was very pleased getting traded to Plymouth. His comment was the coaches actually know the game and teach systems, it was none exsistent with Cheech. How well did it work out for him, the Whalers went from dead last to 4th in the conference and almost knocked off Windsor in playoffs. Fletcher played a ton in that effort, signed a pro contract and is now playing for Providence Bruins. I'd say Fletcher and his agent got the best out of that deal!
Old 12-23-2009, 11:17 PM
DogFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinPuck View Post
How well did it work out for him, the Whalers went from dead last to 4th in the conference and almost knocked off Windsor in playoffs. Fletcher played a ton in that effort, signed a pro contract and is now playing for Providence Bruins. I'd say Fletcher and his agent got the best out of that deal!
The Whalers went from 9th to 4th because they had Mike Vellucci came back as coach. They did that well before Fletcher ever got there. I wouldn't argue that Vellucci is a much better coach then either HC that's been here.
Almost knocked off Windsor!? It was 4-2.
PLY - 6-3
WSR - 8-2
WSR - 8-1
PLY - 3-2
WSR - 5-2
WSR - 4-2

That's not really "almost".
Fletcher never saw any power play time or PK, which is what he wanted here. He never played any more then when here was here. His deal with Providence was in place when he was here in Niagara. They sent him back to work on his skating, he was being told he was as good as Schiestel and should get that kind of ice-time. Seeing the IceDogs haven't used the 8th round pick yet I'd say the jury is still out on who got the better of the deal.
I will not say much about the comment that the agent was and is working within the system, other then to say, that's not exactly true.

Last edited by DogFan; 12-23-2009 at 11:28 PM.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:01 AM
2nd Line

Dog Party has a spectacular aura aboutDog Party has a spectacular aura aboutDog Party has a spectacular aura about

I think that same agent is on a power trip. Sous will eventually land on his feet but will end up no better than what he had when he quit. That agent really gave it to Gilbert, in my opinion. What's Gibby going to do now?
Old 12-24-2009, 01:25 AM
3rd Line

slats will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to slats

Quote:
The organization on a whole is close to last in the league. I've heard that from many players. Coach is not of the caliber of other teams and owners are making this a family affair bringing in their kid as a coach. Arena is old and out dated, I personally like it, but players are not happy with amentities. Also, why not name a captain instead of waiting for Petro, he doesn't want to come back and St. Louis doesn't want him with the team, what are they going to teach him? Players leave because they get frustrated and while they or their agents try to work within the system in truth the teams hold all the cards and kids walking away is common. I ran into Fletcher last spring during playoffs and he was very pleased getting traded to Plymouth. His comment was the coaches actually know the game and teach systems, it was none exsistent with Cheech. How well did it work out for him, the Whalers went from dead last to 4th in the conference and almost knocked off Windsor in playoffs. Fletcher played a ton in that effort, signed a pro contract and is now playing for Providence Bruins. I'd say Fletcher and his agent got the best out of that deal!
Agozzino was named captin about three weeks ago FYI
Old 12-24-2009, 01:51 AM
SysOp

Thanked 2,784 Times in 1,360 Posts
AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
I will say Lessio !!
Ok - so Lessio is playing for some OTHER OHL team then? His choice was nothing to do about not playing for the Dogs, it was this *league* he didn't want to play in.

Quote:
Coaches: look who is here !! There are far more experienced and liked coaches out there !
Yes but you said there's people who don't want to coach HERE. Who? Who wants to coach in the OHL but *not* for the IceDogs?

Quote:
Yes those are quality individuals - but i will refer to Desousa
True, DeSousa quit the team, but he also only wanted to go to a small group of other teams. So it wasn't just this team he didnt' want to play for.

Quote:
The arena is disgraceful. Best and most economical seat in the house - the Ushers !
I'll admit our barn is not much more than that - a barn, but that has nothing to do with the IceDogs. They're making due with what the city had to offer. It's the state of the city's entertainment infrastructure that is in disarray, not the Dogs organization. You can't blame the Dogs for the city having a rink that was built in the 30's.

If you're going to say "a player won't player here" (Lessio) you should at least name a player that will play somewhere else in the league. And you haven't mentioned any coaches name who won't coach here but will coach elsewhere, or any quality player that doesn't want to play here but will play anywhere else (I believe DeSousa mentioned London or Kitchener and that was it).

This organization has a defence that will continue to get better, a future star goalie (who is already stealing games), 2 of the best forwards in the league, some great high picks in upcoming years (possibly a lot more depending on the Petro/DeSousa situation) and plans *currently* in the works for a brand new building!

Doesn't sound bad to me at all.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AlphaDog For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2009, 10:36 AM
3rd Line

Lonewolf has upset more than just a few in the past

I think Smokin Puck has captured the Ice Dog situation the most accurately and clearly ! The replies from Alpha Dog and Dog Party I believe are built more on emotion than knowledge or hockey acumen . There we go . If ,Mr. Moderator, you truly want an "open" discussion on the Ice Dogs , you will let my comment stand !
Old 12-24-2009, 11:01 AM
SysOp

Thanked 2,784 Times in 1,360 Posts
AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Fletcher played a ton in that effort, signed a pro contract and is now playing for Providence Bruins. I'd say Fletcher and his agent got the best out of that deal!
Yah I agree it was good Fletcher was here because that's where the Bruins found him. Remember, he got the Bruins invite WHILE he played for the Dogs. We didn't have him for that part of the Dogs 08/09 season because he was off in the Bruins camp. So he was scouted just fine by Boston while he was here.

Maybe the IceDogs organization *IS* in disarray - I see over the last few days I've been the only one posting otherwise. So I'm guessing the entire forum must agree with the posts of Lonewolf/Smoking Puck.

Oh well, I stand alone then in thinking things aren't as bad as they have been posted in this thread.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:00 PM
1st Line

conchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I am another one who doesn't think that it is all doom and gloom for this organization. We have a new coaching staff and we have a young team...it has not been the most successful combination to date but the boys are showing lots of progress and are starting to look more like an OHL team. I believe that once we deal with the DeSousa and Gilbert distraction and perhaps get to add a player or two, we will be that much stronger. If St.Louis do send Petro back and Brown can arrange a suitable trade for him then we should get ample return for his services. We were never going to be contenders with the players we have this year, so the added playing experience that some of the young kids have rec'd can only be viewed upon as a huge plus for the team. I am sure there will be lots of fans who disagree with this assessment but that is my take on the situation. Happy Holidays Everyone!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to conchar For This Useful Post: