Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,708    Downloads: 1,576,282   Msgs Posted: 128,715   Thread Views: 25,888,677   Online Now: 96
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #61  
Old 03-05-2019, 02:36 PM
NiceDawg's Avatar
NiceDawg NiceDawg is offline
Moderator
 

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 5,324
Thanks: 1,430
Thanked 3,358 Times in 1,834 Posts
NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogged74 View Post
I think all of this would not be so bad if it weren’t for the loss of the 1st round pick from the OHL sanctions, as well as that massive, bloody fine. Don’t kid yourself, that little transaction is going to be hurting the IceDogs for years. That is why, to me, the the IceDogs were, and are, all-in for THIS SEASON. That’s why, for me, I had exceedingly high expectations for this year. This is why it has driven me crazy to see other teams come in here, and seemingly play with much more focus, much more purpose than the Dogs do. Now, it’s not entirely the fault of the coaching staff - certainly the sanctions aren’t - but with only a handful of games left, limping into the playoffs is the last thing I wanted to see.
And next year, the Dogs will go from one of the most veteran-laden teams to without a doubt the youngest. With no Lleyton Moore, and no 1st-round pick.
Neither of those sanctions affect things this year. They will recoup those first round picks by trading off high-end players in exchange for that teams first rounder. They will draft a player in 2020 who won't report, they will take the picks and get a compensatory first-rounder in 2021 and boom, back to where we would have been without the sanctions. There are other formulas but it is just business for a GM. Make better trades, draft well and don't get fleeced this year.

Next years expectations are we cheer when a puck goes in their net or stays out of ours. I plan on having many more losing games than winning games and won't be frustrated for a second. This year's team frustrates me because with the amount of talent we have we ought to be doing far better. Yes, it is the way the players interact with each other but it is also a coaching issue that wasn't resolved at the start of the season and can't be corrected now. Take a look at Peterborough's example of what they do when a player doesn't listen to the coach or performs badly. Benched. Not fourth line and out on the PP and PK, stapled butt to the press box.
Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to NiceDawg For This Useful Post:
  #62  
Old 03-05-2019, 06:54 PM
Blacksox's Avatar
Blacksox Blacksox is offline
Team Captain
 

Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,013
Thanks: 1,258
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,513 Posts
Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired/sectionJ View Post
I remember hearing and reading the same thing from Perlini.
I have searched and cannot confirm those comments. The only story I could find related to this topic in regards to Perlini was….

http://arizonasports.com/story/72611...es-future/amp/

“Being a scorer, you always want to be putting in goals, but I was trying to look at the bigger picture and focus on what I needed to do to get to the next level.” That focus was one of a couple factors that may have impacted Perlini’s production. Niagara underachieved during the 2015-16 regular season, finishing fourth in the Eastern Conference. Then-Coyotes GM Don Maloney intimated that there may have been some issues with the IceDogs coaching staff and there were reports that coach Marty Williamson wasn’t entirely focused or detail-oriented after heart surgery the previous season, and a setback that put him in intensive care.

The IceDogs made a playoff run all the way to the OHL Finals this spring, but owner Bill Burke still fired Williamson at the end of the season, hinting that Williamson, 53, wasn’t a good fit for a younger generation of players that requires answers instead of marching orders.

Perlini declined to address any internal issues with the team but in assessing his season, it’s clear the Coyotes are looking at more than just numbers.




The only other related comment was from Josh Ho-Sang. In this story, he is primarily pointing the finger at each individual player more so than Marty (implying that everyone - not just the coaches - have to accept some of the blame).

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juni...-ohl-playoffs/

“The mentality we have as a team right now comes from knowing that we kind of underachieved this year,” says Ho-Sang. “We have taken it upon ourselves to get a bit of redemption. We came together and just agreed that if we are going to go out, let’s do it the right way—as opposed to being on our own page.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blacksox For This Useful Post:
  #63  
Old 03-05-2019, 07:13 PM
three dog night three dog night is offline
All Star
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: st.catharines Section A Row F Seat 9
Posts: 5,503
Thanks: 2,122
Thanked 1,095 Times in 747 Posts
three dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Hope our current team reads Ho Sang commments sometimes it is up to the players to want to win it time to get the swagger back.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 03-05-2019, 08:15 PM
retired/sectionJ's Avatar
retired/sectionJ retired/sectionJ is online now
Team Captain
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Welland
Posts: 3,573
Thanks: 2,390
Thanked 1,842 Times in 1,155 Posts
retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksox View Post
I have searched and cannot confirm those comments. The only story I could find related to this topic in regards to Perlini was….

http://arizonasports.com/story/72611...es-future/amp/

“Being a scorer, you always want to be putting in goals, but I was trying to look at the bigger picture and focus on what I needed to do to get to the next level.” That focus was one of a couple factors that may have impacted Perlini’s production. Niagara underachieved during the 2015-16 regular season, finishing fourth in the Eastern Conference. Then-Coyotes GM Don Maloney intimated that there may have been some issues with the IceDogs coaching staff and there were reports that coach Marty Williamson wasn’t entirely focused or detail-oriented after heart surgery the previous season, and a setback that put him in intensive care.

The IceDogs made a playoff run all the way to the OHL Finals this spring, but owner Bill Burke still fired Williamson at the end of the season, hinting that Williamson, 53, wasn’t a good fit for a younger generation of players that requires answers instead of marching orders.

Perlini declined to address any internal issues with the team but in assessing his season, it’s clear the Coyotes are looking at more than just numbers.




The only other related comment was from Josh Ho-Sang. In this story, he is primarily pointing the finger at each individual player more so than Marty (implying that everyone - not just the coaches - have to accept some of the blame).

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juni...-ohl-playoffs/

“The mentality we have as a team right now comes from knowing that we kind of underachieved this year,” says Ho-Sang. “We have taken it upon ourselves to get a bit of redemption. We came together and just agreed that if we are going to go out, let’s do it the right way—as opposed to being on our own page.
You can spend a lot of time doing research but, I know what I heard and read just like it was yesterday. And I am sticking to it.
Done. Over and out.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 03-05-2019, 09:16 PM
fishfan51's Avatar
fishfan51 fishfan51 is offline
Resident OHL Expert
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,932
Thanks: 252
Thanked 2,875 Times in 1,200 Posts
fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired/sectionJ View Post
You can spend a lot of time doing research but, I know what I heard and read just like it was yesterday. And I am sticking to it.
Done. Over and out.
Agreed, it might have been a radio interview that will be impossible to find now. But, it happened. I’ve been on this board since day one. I’m not one to make stuff up.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fishfan51 For This Useful Post:
  #66  
Old 03-06-2019, 09:44 AM
dogged74's Avatar
dogged74 dogged74 is offline
Big League
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,667
Thanks: 970
Thanked 891 Times in 581 Posts
dogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond repute
Default

I assume, ND, that by ‘recoup those 1st round picks’ you mean acquire players from other teams that they formerly picked in the first round. It was my understanding that you can’t trade 1st-rd picks. So that’s the only way I can imagine that this would happen.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 03-06-2019, 10:45 AM
retired/sectionJ's Avatar
retired/sectionJ retired/sectionJ is online now
Team Captain
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Welland
Posts: 3,573
Thanks: 2,390
Thanked 1,842 Times in 1,155 Posts
retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogged74 View Post
I assume, ND, that by ‘recoup those 1st round picks’ you mean acquire players from other teams that they formerly picked in the first round. It was my understanding that you can’t trade 1st-rd picks. So that’s the only way I can imagine that this would happen.
Next season , just before the final trade- deadline date, there is a very short window where 1st round pick players can be moved. We could include the other team's 1st round pick from their draft for one of our elite player plus a whole bunch of 2nd rounders for a player like Thomas or Tomasino.
That is how we sort of get our first round pick back.

Example, the Evil Empire last year at the deadline ended up with Kingstston first pick and Hamilton's 1st round pick players.
I believe that they had another 1st round pick player that they got back from another trade.

I believe I have it right.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 03-06-2019, 11:37 AM
dogs77's Avatar
dogs77 dogs77 is offline
Big League
 

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Section 118
Posts: 2,149
Thanks: 1,136
Thanked 1,117 Times in 657 Posts
dogs77 is absolutely magnificent!dogs77 is absolutely magnificent!dogs77 is absolutely magnificent!dogs77 is absolutely magnificent!dogs77 is absolutely magnificent!dogs77 is absolutely magnificent!dogs77 is absolutely magnificent!dogs77 is absolutely magnificent!dogs77 is absolutely magnificent!dogs77 is absolutely magnificent!dogs77 is absolutely magnificent!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired/sectionJ View Post
Next season , just before the final trade- deadline date, there is a very short window where 1st round pick players can be moved. We could include the other team's 1st round pick from their draft for one of our elite player plus a whole bunch of 2nd rounders for a player like Thomas or Tomasino.
That is how we sort of get our first round pick back.

Example, the Evil Empire last year at the deadline ended up with Kingstston first pick and Hamilton's 1st round pick players.
I believe that they had another 1st round pick player that they got back from another trade.

I believe I have it right.
Another example would be the Moore to Oshawa trade
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dogs77 For This Useful Post:
  #69  
Old 03-06-2019, 12:28 PM
NiceDawg's Avatar
NiceDawg NiceDawg is offline
Moderator
 

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 5,324
Thanks: 1,430
Thanked 3,358 Times in 1,834 Posts
NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogged74 View Post
I assume, ND, that by ‘recoup those 1st round picks’ you mean acquire players from other teams that they formerly picked in the first round. It was my understanding that you can’t trade 1st-rd picks. So that’s the only way I can imagine that this would happen.
Yes recoup a first-round pick by receiving a first round player. Your understanding is correct, in the OHL you cannot trade first round picks (although you can in other areas of the CHL).
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 03-18-2019, 11:19 PM
5 for fighting 5 for fighting is offline
2nd Line
 

Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 307
Thanks: 26
Thanked 288 Times in 134 Posts
5 for fighting has much to be proud of5 for fighting has much to be proud of5 for fighting has much to be proud of5 for fighting has much to be proud of5 for fighting has much to be proud of5 for fighting has much to be proud of5 for fighting has much to be proud of5 for fighting has much to be proud of5 for fighting has much to be proud of5 for fighting has much to be proud of
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfan51 View Post
Yes, they are tied with a team that added virtually nobody at the deadline and wasn't supposed to contend for anything. The Dogs on the other hand mortgaged 5 years of draft picks to "go for it".

I have no problem going for it. In fact in today's OHL unless you're London you have to put your eggs in one basket and go all in. The problem here is, when you go all in, you shouldn't be losing to some of the worst teams in the league on back to back nights when the points matter. That's what the fans are worried about and have every right to.

Winning cures all. Win the division, go into the playoffs and make some noise. All will be good.

Lose in the first or second round and heads should roll. Do you think there will be any accountability?
I understand being a little concerned but I think we should also enjoy the team we have. Sudbury has finished dead last in the OHL 2 times in the last 5 years and ended up last in the Eastern Conference another time. They have 2 first overall drafted players on their roster. I would not expect them to have to give up as much as the IceDogs since they have been rebuilding for such a long period.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) IceDogFans.com, 2007-2019