Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,849    Downloads: 2,832,871   Msgs Posted: 140,819   Thread Views: 47,926,303   Online Now: 132
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > Other > Other Hockey: OHL, NHL, International

Notices

Other Hockey: OHL, NHL, International All posts related to any hockey that is NOT about the IceDogs.

View Poll Results: Who Do You Want to Win the Memorial Cup?
London - cheering for the OHL 5 17.86%
Anybody but London 18 64.29%
Doesn't matter - don't care 5 17.86%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #61  
Old 06-03-2016, 03:14 PM
61jr 61jr is offline
1st Line
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 745
Thanks: 21
Thanked 160 Times in 80 Posts
61jr has much to be proud of61jr has much to be proud of61jr has much to be proud of61jr has much to be proud of61jr has much to be proud of61jr has much to be proud of61jr has much to be proud of61jr has much to be proud of
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDawg View Post
As I have heard it, the declaration only makes them eligible for consideration as a draftee and the absence of such a declaration would thereby make them ineligible for any CHL team to draft, thus leveling the playing field for all teams. As it stands right now, a player could be drafted by a CHL team and still play NCAA - the limiting factor is signing the contract or accepting consideration. Having a declaration does not bind a player to the CHL it merely prevents a player from manipulating the draft until the team they wanted picks them up for free a year or two later.
Sorry, I fail to see how this declaration changes anything. Any team has the ability to draft these players now, but the concern is "will they report, or go to the NCAA" and teams do not draft them out of fear they will not report. If they sign this declaration, how does it bind them to anything. So, every player signs the declaration and they don't like the team that drafts them, they go to the NCAA, as they do now.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 06-03-2016, 05:56 PM
NiceDawg's Avatar
NiceDawg NiceDawg is offline
Grump
 

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 6,452
Thanks: 1,635
Thanked 4,004 Times in 2,244 Posts
NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61jr View Post
Sorry, I fail to see how this declaration changes anything. Any team has the ability to draft these players now, but the concern is "will they report, or go to the NCAA" and teams do not draft them out of fear they will not report. If they sign this declaration, how does it bind them to anything. So, every player signs the declaration and they don't like the team that drafts them, they go to the NCAA, as they do now.
Picture this scenario... Player X yells loud and clear that he is going to NCAA and nobody drafts him until very late in the game Team L takes him and miraculously that player suddenly plays for Team L. In the second scenario, Player X makes the same noise about playing NCAA and is drafted instead by Team N who really want him and try hard to convince him to play on their team. When Player X does not report to Team N, they eventually release him and Team L scoops him up for free due to their excellent powers of persuasion.

With the declaration in effect, Players like X who have stated they are not willing to play in the OHL are not in contention. They can't be drafted in the later rounds or scooped up for free when released. The declaration creates a single path for entry into the OHL and levels the playing field for all teams. So under the first scenario if Player X would really rather play for Team L than Team N and he is that good, there will be a trade negotiated either at the half-way point if he is a first-rounder or in year two otherwise. Under the second scenario if Player X does not report, no other team gets him.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 06-03-2016, 06:19 PM
61jr 61jr is offline
1st Line
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 745
Thanks: 21
Thanked 160 Times in 80 Posts
61jr has much to be proud of61jr has much to be proud of61jr has much to be proud of61jr has much to be proud of61jr has much to be proud of61jr has much to be proud of61jr has much to be proud of61jr has much to be proud of
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDawg View Post
Picture this scenario... Player X yells loud and clear that he is going to NCAA and nobody drafts him until very late in the game Team L takes him and miraculously that player suddenly plays for Team L. In the second scenario, Player X makes the same noise about playing NCAA and is drafted instead by Team N who really want him and try hard to convince him to play on their team. When Player X does not report to Team N, they eventually release him and Team L scoops him up for free due to their excellent powers of persuasion.

With the declaration in effect, Players like X who have stated they are not willing to play in the OHL are not in contention. They can't be drafted in the later rounds or scooped up for free when released. The declaration creates a single path for entry into the OHL and levels the playing field for all teams. So under the first scenario if Player X would really rather play for Team L than Team N and he is that good, there will be a trade negotiated either at the half-way point if he is a first-rounder or in year two otherwise. Under the second scenario if Player X does not report, no other team gets him.
OK, I've pictured your scenario. Why wouldn't Player X just sign the declaration anyways, there's no reason not to. Why would Player X eliminate an option? What's in it for Player X to not sign the declaration?
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 06-03-2016, 10:00 PM
NiceDawg's Avatar
NiceDawg NiceDawg is offline
Grump
 

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 6,452
Thanks: 1,635
Thanked 4,004 Times in 2,244 Posts
NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61jr View Post
OK, I've pictured your scenario. Why wouldn't Player X just sign the declaration anyways, there's no reason not to. Why would Player X eliminate an option? What's in it for Player X to not sign the declaration?
That's the beauty of it, there is no penalty or disadvantage for the average honest player. If they are on the fence there is legitimately no consequence. If they have no interest in the OHL, they aren't tempted (or bothered) by the OHL draft process if they don't declare.

The only disadvantage is to a player who wants to play in the OHL and intends to manipulate the draft to be selected by a specific team, or to a team who intends to draft a high ranked player but pay a low round (or free agent) price.

I think the league should also allow first year players to waive their inability to be traded. For example Player Y is drafted in the third round by Team S but he really wants to play for Team N because his brother is there. Team N and S work out a deal and viola Player Y is where he wants to be.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 06-03-2016, 11:00 PM
Stinkyp3t3's Avatar
Stinkyp3t3 Stinkyp3t3 is offline
London Knights Fan
 

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Sec 105
Posts: 2,325
Thanks: 1,352
Thanked 598 Times in 429 Posts
Stinkyp3t3 has much to be proud ofStinkyp3t3 has much to be proud ofStinkyp3t3 has much to be proud ofStinkyp3t3 has much to be proud ofStinkyp3t3 has much to be proud ofStinkyp3t3 has much to be proud ofStinkyp3t3 has much to be proud ofStinkyp3t3 has much to be proud ofStinkyp3t3 has much to be proud of
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDawg View Post
Picture this scenario... Player X yells loud and clear that he is going to NCAA and nobody drafts him until very late in the game Team L takes him and miraculously that player suddenly plays for Team L. In the second scenario, Player X makes the same noise about playing NCAA and is drafted instead by Team N who really want him and try hard to convince him to play on their team. When Player X does not report to Team N, they eventually release him and Team L scoops him up for free due to their excellent powers of persuasion.

With the declaration in effect, Players like X who have stated they are not willing to play in the OHL are not in contention. They can't be drafted in the later rounds or scooped up for free when released. The declaration creates a single path for entry into the OHL and levels the playing field for all teams. So under the first scenario if Player X would really rather play for Team L than Team N and he is that good, there will be a trade negotiated either at the half-way point if he is a first-rounder or in year two otherwise. Under the second scenario if Player X does not report, no other team gets him.
It would appear that Team N has the problem. Perhaps Team N should build something that a Player X would deem productive to his future development.
Player X holds the cards, and, is sitting in a Buyers Market, if Player X doesn't like what Team N is selling, then Team N should create a better market of their goods.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 06-03-2016, 11:09 PM
Stinkyp3t3's Avatar
Stinkyp3t3 Stinkyp3t3 is offline
London Knights Fan
 

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Sec 105
Posts: 2,325
Thanks: 1,352
Thanked 598 Times in 429 Posts
Stinkyp3t3 has much to be proud ofStinkyp3t3 has much to be proud ofStinkyp3t3 has much to be proud ofStinkyp3t3 has much to be proud ofStinkyp3t3 has much to be proud ofStinkyp3t3 has much to be proud ofStinkyp3t3 has much to be proud ofStinkyp3t3 has much to be proud ofStinkyp3t3 has much to be proud of
Default

If I am a 16 y/o kid, there are really 4 teams in the O that I would want to play for.

If I am a 16 y/o kid who, has the potential to make over 1 million $'s per year, then, the only thing I am thinking about is, ME, and, how yo make over 2 million $'s per year.

I, have the choice, I repeat, I have the choice, as to who I want to play for do I can make over 2 million $'s per year.

The system is NOT flawed, quit the biatching and build a market which attracts the players.

Last edited by NiceDawg; 06-04-2016 at 08:19 AM. Reason: rule violation
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 06-03-2016, 11:12 PM
Red's Avatar
Red Red is offline
Top Prospect
 

Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,032
Thanks: 294
Thanked 414 Times in 271 Posts
Red is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other members
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkyp3t3 View Post
It would appear that Team N has the problem. Perhaps Team N should build something that a Player X would deem productive to his future development.
Player X holds the cards, and, is sitting in a Buyers Market, if Player X doesn't like what Team N is selling, then Team N should create a better market of their goods.
The Bastille day is coming. The other teams have no bread, let them eat cake right Pete? The current system advantages the richest one or two teams so naturally they don't see a problem and the remaining 18 teams can just suck it and be happy with the scraps? London can just inherit talent and other teams have to buy it.
__________________
wE faLL iN LiNe, wE LiVe thE LiE - wAkE uP, wAkE uP aNd fEEd thE mAcHiNe
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 06-03-2016, 11:19 PM
Red's Avatar
Red Red is offline
Top Prospect
 

Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,032
Thanks: 294
Thanked 414 Times in 271 Posts
Red is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other members
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkyp3t3 View Post
If I am a 16 y/o kid, there are really 4 teams in the O that I would want to play for.

If I am a 16 y/o kid who, has the potential to make over 1 million $'s per year, then, the only thing I am thinking about is, ME, and, how yo make over 2 million $'s per year.

I, have the choice, I repeat, I have the choice, as to who I want to play for do I can make over 2 million $'s per year.

The system is NOT flawed, quit the biatching and build a market which attracts the players.
My OHL has 20 teams in it. Who are your 4 teams going to play against? Give all the teams an equal shot at that million dollar talent and see how their franchise improves. Keep sending talent away from teams through a skewed selection process and you are creating hockey ghettos. It takes talented players to make a team and win and grow a franchise.
__________________
wE faLL iN LiNe, wE LiVe thE LiE - wAkE uP, wAkE uP aNd fEEd thE mAcHiNe
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 06-04-2016, 12:28 AM
61jr 61jr is offline
1st Line
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 745
Thanks: 21
Thanked 160 Times in 80 Posts
61jr has much to be proud of61jr has much to be proud of61jr has much to be proud of61jr has much to be proud of61jr has much to be proud of61jr has much to be proud of61jr has much to be proud of61jr has much to be proud of
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDawg View Post
That's the beauty of it, there is no penalty or disadvantage for the average honest player. If they are on the fence there is legitimately no consequence. If they have no interest in the OHL, they aren't tempted (or bothered) by the OHL draft process if they don't declare.

The only disadvantage is to a player who wants to play in the OHL and intends to manipulate the draft to be selected by a specific team, or to a team who intends to draft a high ranked player but pay a low round (or free agent) price.

I think the league should also allow first year players to waive their inability to be traded. For example Player Y is drafted in the third round by Team S but he really wants to play for Team N because his brother is there. Team N and S work out a deal and viola Player Y is where he wants to be.
So how does this system work any different than the current situation? What player would reasonably consider not signing? Every player signs the card (because, really, why would you ever want to remove an opportunity for no reason). You're looking to eliminate people who you think are trying to game the system to their advantage. Those people will sign up, if they don't get drafted by a team that they want to report to, they will go to the NCAA, just like they do now.

Personally, I don't think the players and their families are trying to do anything other than look out for their own best long term interests (just as every team is looking out for their own long term interests -- and, just to be clear, I'm not blaming the teams for this, they are a business and have to operate as such).
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 06-04-2016, 06:23 PM
NiceDawg's Avatar
NiceDawg NiceDawg is offline
Grump
 

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 6,452
Thanks: 1,635
Thanked 4,004 Times in 2,244 Posts
NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!
Default

The NCAA route is ideal for some players but the OHL needs to stop selling itself short. If you are top talent, work with the team that drafted you if you want a new destination so at least both teams win. The proposed declaration creates one path "in" while preserving all the same routes "out" for players. It stops the "magical" drafting of top talent in the later rounds or the sudden appearance of a highly rated free agent. Lets see if the bulk of the OHL team owners will insist on this finally!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) IceDogFans.com, 2007-2019