Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,850    Downloads: 2,832,954   Msgs Posted: 140,832   Thread Views: 47,939,876   Online Now: 108
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:46 PM
2nd Line

habsfan has a reputation beyond reputehabsfan has a reputation beyond reputehabsfan has a reputation beyond reputehabsfan has a reputation beyond reputehabsfan has a reputation beyond reputehabsfan has a reputation beyond reputehabsfan has a reputation beyond reputehabsfan has a reputation beyond reputehabsfan has a reputation beyond reputehabsfan has a reputation beyond reputehabsfan has a reputation beyond repute
Default ARTS CENTRE A GO (Threat to arena??)

Unless I missed it, I haven’t seen any discussion about this announcement on the forum… Will this have an impact on the proposed arena? Were they not targeting the same location?

ARTS CENTRE A GO

Posted By MONIQUE BEECH , STANDARD STAFF

Posted 2 days ago

Jubilant local politicians announced $54 million in funding Friday morning to build a downtown performing arts complex in St. Catharines that's being hailed as key to revitalizing the city's ailing core and boosting the economy.
The federal and provincial governments pledged a combined $36 million, with another $18 million coming from the City of St. Catharines to construct the Niagara Centre for the Arts by 2012. Securing cash from Ottawa and Queen's Park was key to the project, which is expected to break ground next year.
Officials say the arts complex will create thousands of jobs during construction and after it opens, and make the city a cultural hub in Niagara.
St. Catharines Mayor Brian McMullan called the performing arts centre a cornerstone of a plan to pump life back into the city's struggling downtown.
"There's been talk in this community for many years about revitalizing downtown," McMullan told the crowd gathered for a news conference in the lower-level parking lot below St. Paul Street.
"That has left some people skeptical when it comes to plans for our downtown core. This time we have a plan for downtown to turn it into the
thriving city centre that we want -- a place where people can live, work and play."
"This project is the first step in that plan," McMullan said.
The arts centre will be located next to and run jointly with Brock University's Marilyn I. Walker School of Fine and Performing Arts.
The school, which will house about 600 students and 50 faculty, will be located in the former Canada Hair Cloth Building in the lower-level parking lot.

Brock's Centre for the Arts and all the performances that happen there will be moved downtown to the arts complex, which will feature a 800-to 900- seat theatre, dance hall, film theatre and recital hall.

The next step for the city and Brock is to hire an architect to design the complex, which is expected to cost about $101 million, Brock president Jack Lightstone said.
The university is counting on money from a large ongoing capital fundraising campaign, cash from the province and $15 million donated by Marilyn Walker to cover its share of the cost, Lightstone said.
The university has the experience to make the centre sustainable and a success, as well the critical mass of people to boost business downtown, Lightstone said.
"That's going to have an amazing effect on downtown, another 500 people who are here all day everyday needing the services, needing food. That's the whole idea here is to get more density down here..."
Driving the economy is what made the project a winner for the federal government, St. Catharines MP Rick Dykstra said.
"It's good news about jobs," Dykstra said.
"It's good news about our local economy. I believe at the very heart of what we speak, it's good for the very spirit of our city."
The arts centre is the kind of project that will transform the Garden City, said St. Catharines MPP Jim Bradley, who called it a great example of what can be accomplished when all levels of government work together.
"I know this will be a welcome catalyst for change and encourage new development within our city's downtown," Bradley said.
McMullan said the arts centre has already sparked interest among developers looking to invest in the core.
The exact footprint of the building has yet to be decided, the mayor said.
But the centre will have an entrance off St. Paul Street, which means the city might need to buy or expropriate businesses on the street near Carlisle Street.
The city's arts community hailed the funding announcement as a boon to all local cultural organizations.
"We're enthused about the idea that people can come downtown and visit the Niagara Centre for the Arts, then also discover some of the other smaller organizations and theatre groups that dot the downtown," said Steve Remus, director of programming and operations for the Niagara Artists' Centre on St. Paul Street.
"It makes the whole community alive and functioning."
- - -
Facts about the NiagaraCentre for the Arts
What it will include:
800-to 900-seat concert hall
200-to 250-seat dance venue, also suitable for theatre and music events, and a 125-seat community theatre (combined in one building)
200-seat film theatre with an extensive schedule of first-run and revival film programming
250-to 300-seat recital hall
main lobby and cafe for popular music and cabaret
What it will cost:
$54 million split three ways between Ottawa, Queen's Park and the City of St. Catharines. Money from the province and federal governments comes from the 2008 Building Canada Plan Framework Agreement, which resulted in $6 billion for infrastructure in Ontario
The city already has the money from a combination of sources including reserves, $6.5 million in recent bonus cash from the province, and hydro dividend cash
Projected economic benefits for St. Catharines/Niagara:
$7.4 million per year and total direct and indirect economic spin-off of $17.3 million
Operating costs:
Niagara Centre for the Arts is expected to cost about $4.5 million per year to run
One-third ($1.5 million) will come from contributed sources (including St. Catharines taxpayers and Brock University) as well as donors, other government sources and eventually proceeds from an operating endowment
One-time start-up cost of $1.3 million expected, plus creation of a capital reserve fund.
Source:City of St. Catharines

Article ID# 1581137
The Following User Says Thank You to habsfan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2009, 05:59 PM
SysOp

Thanked 2,805 Times in 1,367 Posts
AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!

re:
Quote:
will be located in the former Canada Hair Cloth Building in the lower-level parking lot.
It's going to use that big brick building which is away from what I believe will be the proposed arena site.

It could work out to benefit the arena as with 2 new large buildings in that area, maybe a multi-level parking lot could be constructed and shared between the 2 venues.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:47 PM
3rd Line

Alpha 1 is a jewel in the roughAlpha 1 is a jewel in the roughAlpha 1 is a jewel in the roughAlpha 1 is a jewel in the rough

This will have no impact on the proposed arena. This project has been on the books for about a year now; I've actually been waiting for the go ahead on this. My job relies on construction projects. As for the arena; I can say this one of the 4 contractors on the short list, is a good account of mine; he desperately wants this to go ahead. I can't say the contractor's name, but I will say they want to do this, and he thinks it is very viable. As I get more info from him I will post.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:15 PM
2nd Line

habsfan has a reputation beyond reputehabsfan has a reputation beyond reputehabsfan has a reputation beyond reputehabsfan has a reputation beyond reputehabsfan has a reputation beyond reputehabsfan has a reputation beyond reputehabsfan has a reputation beyond reputehabsfan has a reputation beyond reputehabsfan has a reputation beyond reputehabsfan has a reputation beyond reputehabsfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDog View Post
re:

It's going to use that big brick building which is away from what I believe will be the proposed arena site.

It could work out to benefit the arena as with 2 new large buildings in that area, maybe a multi-level parking lot could be constructed and shared between the 2 venues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan View Post
The arts centre will be located next to and run jointly with Brock University's Marilyn I. Walker School of Fine and Performing Arts.
The school, which will house about 600 students and 50 faculty, will be located in the former Canada Hair Cloth Building in the lower-level parking lot.
I'm reading that the "school" will be in the old building, and that the "art centre" will be built beside it...

So does this leave any room for an arena?? Someone (AD?) in an earlier thread had overlayed an aerial view of an arena in the lower level lot and it seemed like a pretty tight squeeze, assuming they had the entire lot...

Don't get me wrong, I think it would be a wonderful thing if both could be built there, but I'm not sure about the room...
Old 05-25-2009, 11:13 PM
SysOp

AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan View Post
I'm reading that the "school" will be in the old building, and that the "art centre" will be built beside it...
Aah.. I thought they were all inside that building that's already there and they were just going to re-do the whole thing. I don't have a good mind's eye picture of that whole area right now, but I would think there's still tons of room for a new arts building and a rink (and parking lot). Ok, 'grabbed a GoogleEarth image.

This is just what I'm guessing - I'd actually PREFER to have the arena where the current parking lot is - more in the middle - and have the parking below it (in the image) :

Old 05-26-2009, 05:30 PM
Serving a Suspension

Canuck311 is absolutely hated by othersCanuck311 is absolutely hated by others

there will be no new arena ... for the ice dogs in st catharines.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:14 PM
DogFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck311 View Post
wow.....someone should tell the four groups bidding on the project.
McMullen said in one article in the paper that this is the first step in the downtown revitalization. They even have plans for the current arena site. Why go public with those plans if you aren't confident you'll have something to replace it.
Plans for a new spectator facility in the lower-level parking lot to replace Jack Gatecliff Arena are still in the works, McMullan said. Residential highrises could be built at the old arena site, he added.
full article http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/A...aspx?e=1581133
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2009, 08:30 PM
1st Line

conchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck311 View Post
Thank you for your optimism...however I will continue to focus on the fact that getting a new arena is still very much under consideration and until the powers that be say NO!!! then I will maintain the glimmer of hope that most of us Ice Dogs fans hold dear to our hearts.
The Following User Says Thank You to conchar For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2009, 09:44 PM
Serving a Suspension

rowdi29 will become famous soon enough

Here we go... someone made a comment that may get things stirred up in here...I love it...Who wants to go in on a private box with me and we can wave at the nay-sayers
Old 05-28-2009, 01:43 AM
SysOp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdi29 View Post
Here we go... someone made a comment that may get things stirred up in here...I love it...Who wants to go in on a private box with me and we can wave at the nay-sayers
I vote we get 20 people together and each throw in a hundred bucks (or whatever it will cost for a box) and get an IceDogFans.com box Share it for different weeknight games, and give it to kids in less-income families for weekend games I think it would be great if we could use the "power in numbers" concept to do something good for charity.
The Following User Says Thank You to AlphaDog For This Useful Post: