Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,850    Downloads: 2,832,969   Msgs Posted: 140,832   Thread Views: 47,941,624   Online Now: 137
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:46 PM
All Star

B-Rad has much to be proud ofB-Rad has much to be proud ofB-Rad has much to be proud ofB-Rad has much to be proud ofB-Rad has much to be proud ofB-Rad has much to be proud ofB-Rad has much to be proud ofB-Rad has much to be proud of
Default Dogs draft 6'6 goalie

With the 21st overall pick in the CHL import draft, the Dogs drafted goalie Petteri Simila, a 6'6" goalie from Karpat Jr (a junior A team in Finland). Last weekend, Simila was drafted as the last pick in the 7th round (211th overall) by the Montreal Canadiens, which happened to be the very last pick of the entire draft.

Hopefully he's willing to come here, and the Habs might be able to convince him of the benefits of the OHL. Who knows, it might pay better to be in Finland and he might want to stay at home.

Regardless of how Simila fares for us, we can be assured that he was a better pick than Englebrecht!
Old 06-30-2009, 02:56 PM
All Star

B-Rad has much to be proud ofB-Rad has much to be proud ofB-Rad has much to be proud ofB-Rad has much to be proud ofB-Rad has much to be proud ofB-Rad has much to be proud ofB-Rad has much to be proud ofB-Rad has much to be proud of

from the Habs website, a very brief draft synopsis

http://canadiens.nhl.com/team/app/?s...eid=431948#211
Old 06-30-2009, 04:10 PM
2nd Line

Location: Section C Row K Seat 13 - Gatorade Garden City Complex
IceDogArmy has much to be proud ofIceDogArmy has much to be proud ofIceDogArmy has much to be proud ofIceDogArmy has much to be proud ofIceDogArmy has much to be proud ofIceDogArmy has much to be proud ofIceDogArmy has much to be proud ofIceDogArmy has much to be proud of

Thank you for the posts
Old 06-30-2009, 05:52 PM
2nd Line

habsfan has a reputation beyond reputehabsfan has a reputation beyond reputehabsfan has a reputation beyond reputehabsfan has a reputation beyond reputehabsfan has a reputation beyond reputehabsfan has a reputation beyond reputehabsfan has a reputation beyond reputehabsfan has a reputation beyond reputehabsfan has a reputation beyond reputehabsfan has a reputation beyond reputehabsfan has a reputation beyond repute

To add... from http://andrewshabs.blogspot.com/2009...ila-211th.html
(read the last line!)
Canadiens select Petteri Simila 211th overall in Round 7

This afternoon in Montreal at the draft, Gainey selected Petteri Simila 211th overall in Round 7 thanks to a trade from the Stanley cup Champions (The Pittsburgh Penguins). Montreal traded there 6th round pick in 2010 to Pittsburgh for the 211th pick this season just so they can get Petteri Simila. "Well it seems that in 7 round's there is not enough picks available to answer to the number of players on our list," Gainey said.I think it was a nice touch for Montreal to make the last pick in the draft and Pittsburgh allowed us to do that."Petteri Simila can possibly play for Montreal next season if the Canadiens trade either Denis, Halak or Price.

Written By Andrew Di Pardo
The Following User Says Thank You to habsfan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2009, 06:02 PM
All Star

He's a 1990 birth, so if he comes, he'll probably only be here for one year.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:17 PM
2nd Line

Lois is absolutely magnificent!Lois is absolutely magnificent!Lois is absolutely magnificent!Lois is absolutely magnificent!Lois is absolutely magnificent!Lois is absolutely magnificent!Lois is absolutely magnificent!Lois is absolutely magnificent!Lois is absolutely magnificent!Lois is absolutely magnificent!Lois is absolutely magnificent!

Found this bit on The Goalie Guild website on Petteri Simila (I still hope that Jeremy Smith comes back).

http://thegoalieguild.com/

Simila, who is listed at 6-foot-6, an inch taller than Koskinen, is quickly becoming known for his similarities to the Vantaa Vulture. Little has been documented on his play other than the obvious statistics and recognition of his size, but reports are saying that he moves well laterally, displays a lot of poise for his age and recovers quickly from the butterfly.

http://www.forecaster.ca/hockeynews/...layer.cgi?7742

Petteri Simila

Date of birth: April 09, 1990
Place of birth: Oulu, Finland
Ht: 6-6 Wt: 189
Catches: L
NHL Seasons: 0-R
Drafted by Montreal in 2009 (7/211)

CAREER STATISTICS
YrTeamLeaGPIWLTOTLMinSOGASHAGAASV%

2008-09KarpatFin Jr.17--------3.61.897

2007-08KarpatFin Jr.12---------.916

TotalFin Jr.29----------

Last edited by Lois; 06-30-2009 at 07:19 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:00 PM
SysOp

Thanked 2,805 Times in 1,367 Posts
AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!

^^ Hmm... that's a pretty big save% drop from 2 years ago to last year and it's not like he was moving up to a harder league. Still, he's around the 900 level. Oh well, time will tell.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:31 PM
1st Line

Passionforhockey is a glorious beacon of lightPassionforhockey is a glorious beacon of lightPassionforhockey is a glorious beacon of lightPassionforhockey is a glorious beacon of lightPassionforhockey is a glorious beacon of light

he would fill the net
wow big kid
Old 06-30-2009, 11:37 PM
All Star

I wonder if this is a backup plan if Smith doesn't return?

We need Vis in a Dogs uniform this year so he's ready for next year (assuming that either Smith or Simila will start this year)
Old 07-01-2009, 02:45 AM
Curmudgeon

Thanked 2,584 Times in 1,485 Posts
strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!

I would guess this is a backup plan in case Smith does not return...I think Smith returning is highly doubtful (unfortunately)...

I read this on the www.thenoof.com (which is an OHL forum), about the guy the Dogs drafted:

"KnightHawk wrote:
Niagara selects Petteri Simila, who is a goalie from Finlandia. I thought I had heard that name before.

There's an unofficial award called "Mr. Irrelevant" that goes to the last overall pick in the NFL draft. If there were such a thing for the NHL, Simila would win it. He was the last player chosen in the 2009 draft. For the record, he was selected by the Montreal Canadiens.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Irrelevant

KnightHawk"

The following response was received from a Windsor Spitfires fan, who appears to be a regular contributor to the NOOF forum:

"The kid is very very good and is supposed to be coming to the OHL. With Jeremy Smith not returning this pick makes a ton of sense."

Lets cross our fingers!