Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,850    Downloads: 2,834,129   Msgs Posted: 140,956   Thread Views: 48,082,361   Online Now: 64
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:42 PM
SysOp

Thanked 2,805 Times in 1,367 Posts
AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61jr View Post
So you are just assuming that the shot qualities are exactly the same?
Over hundreds and hundreds of shots, on average, yes.

Quote:
Save percentage is predicated on overall team defense,
GAA is based on overall team defense. The 'toughness' of shots evens out after a handful of games. You might have ONE game here and there where there was a large portion of hard-to-stop shots, but I don't believe any goaltender playing regularly is going to have harder shots overall, than any other goaltender.

[quote]You can't compare this year's team defense and goaltending to last years. It would be just as easy to say Vizzy's save percentage this year is .833[ /quote]

Yes, but how many games. You can't base a goaltender on a single game. How many games has Pavelka played so far? 6? 7? Another 20 and his save% might increase a bit, but I don't think it would be a night and day difference.

I'm just commenting on what I see. And a LOT of the shots going in seem to be straight shots at the net. Not wild passing plays and breakaways. There seem to be a lot of weak goals. Goals one wouldn't usually see go in on an OHL goaltender.
The Following User Says Thank You to AlphaDog For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2011, 08:54 PM
Big League

bulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond repute

The way I see our backup goalies is "inconsistent". They both have let in some really weak goals and they both have shown the potential they have. I have seen them both make some incredible saves but they don't seem capable of it on a consistent basis which is what we need.
The Following User Says Thank You to bulldog For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2011, 10:35 PM
DogFan

Coaches don't go by stats, they simply look at their players and say "can I win with him?". The answer is a very simple no on both backup goaltending and defence.
Coming into the season every fan of the IceDogs knew they needed an experienced back up goalie. Nothing has changed there, and there still may be a plan in place. Sometimes these deals take months to actually be done because of other teams needs. Sometimes things change and these deals come together quickly. Example, I can see London being interested in Scott Stajcer, if they pick him up that would make Houser expendable and perhaps of interest to Niagara. That could be something all three teams have talked about in the pre-season or it could just fall in their lap, we will never know.
As for the defence, Graham and Hamilton are a legit number one and two. You need three and four to be solid defensive guys that can contribute on offence once in while, Buekeboom could be a number four, if healthy. Five and six need to be good stay at home physical guys with some toughness. They don't have any of that right now (unless they move Bennett back to D) but I think they can get a five and Rover is a decent six. I think they'll need to move Mercer to get a number three and picks will get you a decent number five guy.
This is very early to panic but it is also a good look at the team if there are injuries. You also don't want to fall too far back, home ice is huge for this team and they cannot afford to lose it in October.

Last edited by DogFan; 10-10-2011 at 10:37 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:46 AM
SysOp

AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!

Speaking of Beuk... what's his injury situation? What *IS* his injury? I haven't been following that story at ALL.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:15 AM
Team Captain

Thanked 3,311 Times in 1,560 Posts
hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!

Houser may be the best goalie in the league he will not be available. Scott Stajcer would be going there to be his backup.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:16 AM
Team Captain

Thanked 3,311 Times in 1,560 Posts
hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!
Default It's been a Dogs' breakfast for Niagara

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/10/10...st-for-niagara
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hockey123 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2011, 09:51 AM
DogFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey123 View Post
Houser may be the best goalie in the league he will not be available. Scott Stajcer would be going there to be his backup.
I said example. It wasn't a suggestion of what might happen.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:20 AM
4th Line

proline19 is on a distinguished road

fficeffice" />>>Look at the stats Mercer not as bad as you are saying he is not the problem >>>
>>
>>>>>>Dougie hamilton 0>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>Luke Mercer - 2>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>Shayne Rove - 5>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>Jessie Graham - 7>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>Milan Doudera - 7 >>>>
>
Old 10-11-2011, 01:51 PM
3rd Line

3 Dog Day... will become famous soon enough

I dont think it would be fair to rate any players plus minus up to this point as 90% of the goals against have been horrible.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:36 PM
SysOp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Dog Day... View Post
I dont think it would be fair to rate any players plus minus up to this point as 90% of the goals against have been horrible.
I've always hated the +/- system. It doesn't show anything to do with a player's talent.

You get a guy on the checking line - his line's purpose is NOT to score goals, but to defend against them. His line goes up against the BEST scoring line of the other team. Very unfair to compare that guy's +/- with someone on a different line that has a different role.

And as you mention... weak goaltending brings down everyone's stats.

+/- is just as much of a joke of a stat as is GAA for a goalie. (GAA is a *team* stat, not a goalie stat. That's why they show the GA column in the TEAM standings).