Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,728    Downloads: 1,609,511   Msgs Posted: 129,199   Thread Views: 26,369,538   Online Now: 107
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

Old 05-12-2019, 06:15 PM
Top Prospect

pup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired/sectionJ View Post
I have to agree with you, bad choice of wording.
I don't get it?
Old 05-13-2019, 06:33 AM
3rd Line

OlDawg has a spectacular aura aboutOlDawg has a spectacular aura about
Default Moving Aside

Quote:
Speaking for myself, I am looking foward to next season and the suspense it will bring.
Any older players with value will be moved around Christmas time to restock the cupboard.
I am hoping that Sopa returns and that a new import player can be added in June.
We have lots of options with goalies. Worst case scenario is the McGrath gets the number 1 job until a rookie pushes him aside.

Some people will disagree with me and I am good with that; if I am wrong at the end of the day, I am still good with that.
Have to agree in the main. Just one area to question. McGrath has a draft pick associated with his playing here, yes?
BB has had many here wondering about his ability to "grow" a homegrown G. Even to his unwavering loyalty to SD when he faltered throughout the season/playoffs. One of these youngsters will step up if given an "honest" opportunity. If we falter during the season while evaluating our core for 2022, so be it, as the downside is we get a top draft pick in 2020. Where is the downside if we have a focus on creating a plan for the future?
Old 05-13-2019, 06:48 AM
Team Captain

Thanked 1,860 Times in 1,169 Posts
retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlDawg View Post
Have to agree in the main. Just one area to question. McGrath has a draft pick associated with his playing here, yes?
BB has had many here wondering about his ability to "grow" a homegrown G. Even to his unwavering loyalty to SD when he faltered throughout the season/playoffs. One of these youngsters will step up if given an "honest" opportunity. If we falter during the season while evaluating our core for 2022, so be it, as the downside is we get a top draft pick in 2020. Where is the downside if we have a focus on creating a plan for the future?
I don't believe that I wrote a down side for next season. I only stated that there are questions about who will play in net.
I am still wondering why Joey and Billy brought in McGrath and then they let him rot as a door opener down the road.

I would like to see Sbgaglia (I will get that name right some day) and Tynan or another youngster.
The Following User Says Thank You to retired/sectionJ For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2019, 06:53 AM

Thanked 3,386 Times in 1,848 Posts
NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
I don't believe that I wrote a down side for next season. I only stated that there are questions about who will play in net.
I am still wondering why Joey and Billy brought in McGrath and then they let him rot as a door opener down the road.

I would like to see Sbgaglia (I will get that name right some day) and Tynan or another youngster.
Personally, I am focused more on development than winning this year. Bring in two newbie goalies and trade McGrath. Let the youngsters face the pucks and gain experience with one or both emerging as talent. There is no correlation between opening the bench door and improvement, they need to play but that doesn't happen when you are renting experience.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NiceDawg For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2019, 07:03 AM
Team Captain

retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDawg View Post
Personally, I am focused more on development than winning this year. Bring in two newbie goalies and trade McGrath. Let the youngsters face the pucks and gain experience with one or both emerging as talent. There is no correlation between opening the bench door and improvement, they need to play but that doesn't happen when you are renting experience.
I would like to see Sbgaglia (I will get that name right some day) and Tynan or another youngster. Is what I previously wrote.

Although, it has been proven in the past that going with two young goalies does not always work out.
Example..... the season they have two youngsters , one being John Cullen and the other player's name eludes me right now.
I have not had my second cup of coffee yet.

Having started my second cup of coffee, and a roster check, it shows us that the other very young goalie was none other than Mark Visentine. Both players struggled a bit and at some point later, the team added another goalie by the name of Jeremy Smith. John Cullen was eventually traded.

Last edited by retired/sectionJ; 05-13-2019 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Added more info
Old 05-13-2019, 07:08 AM
Team Captain

Thanked 3,145 Times in 1,543 Posts
Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!

The only way McGrath returns as an OA, would be as a result of a rule change allowing a goalie to be a teams 4th OA.

The 3 OAs spots will most likely be: (2-D and 1-F) or (3-D). Any 3 player combination will not include McGrath.

Since this will be the 1st year of a rebuild, the IceDogs could open the season carrying 4 OAs (3-D and 1-F).

ELIGIBLE OAs
D-Paquette
D-Hunter
D- Roberts

F-Castleman
F-Phillip
F-Johnson

G-McGrath
Old 05-13-2019, 12:00 PM
Team Captain

dogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Can’t believe this is still a question he was brought in as a just in case for the playoffs cause they didn’t want to put a rookie goalie with limited experience (sbaraglia) in a playoff game. They let him rot cause reality is he’s just not that good and even though we lost in round 2 (pretend this was before the playoffs) IMO if he played a few more games we definitely would’ve been dummied in the second round by Ottawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksox View Post
The only way McGrath returns as an OA, would be as a result of a rule change allowing a goalie to be a teams 4th OA.

The 3 OAs spots will most likely be: (2-D and 1-F) or (3-D). Any 3 player combination will not include McGrath.

Since this will be the 1st year of a rebuild, the IceDogs could open the season carrying 4 OAs (3-D and 1-F).

ELIGIBLE OAs
D-Paquette
D-Hunter
D- Roberts

F-Castleman
F-Phillip
F-Johnson

G-McGrath
I would go 3 D give the rookie goalies and young D all the help they can get use the import draft to hopefully get a forward
The Following User Says Thank You to dogs777 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2019, 12:19 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogs777 View Post
Can’t believe this is still a question he was brought in as a just in case for the playoffs cause they didn’t want to put a rookie goalie with limited experience (sbaraglia) in a playoff game. They let him rot cause reality is he’s just not that good and even though we lost in round 2 (pretend this was before the playoffs) IMO if he played a few more games we definitely would’ve been dummied in the second round by Ottawa

I would go 3 D give the rookie goalies and young D all the help they can get use the import draft to hopefully get a forward
It is not a question, merely a thought that was put down in writing.
Old 05-29-2019, 07:24 AM
Team Captain

Thanked 3,145 Times in 1,543 Posts
Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!

OHL Prospects @BrockOtten

“Looking ahead to the next OHL season, one of the stats that I know some OHL teams use to try to predict team success across the league is returning even strength goals from 16-18 year olds (in this case 2000-2002 born players).

This does not include potential overage players, which does skew things. But those can also be tough to predict sometimes due to pro contracts…and does not take into account goaltending.

But, this is definitely a tool that OHL teams use and I think gives us a pretty good early indicator of how good some OHL teams could be next season.”

East:
1. Peterborough (118).
2. Sudbury (99).
3. Ottawa (95).
4. Oshawa (90).
5. Hamilton (85).
6. Niagara (83).
7. Barrie (81).
8. Mississauga (76).
9. North Bay (63).
10. Kingston (41).
Old 05-29-2019, 12:46 PM
Rookie

Dogtired is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksox View Post
OHL Prospects @BrockOtten

“Looking ahead to the next OHL season, one of the stats that I know some OHL teams use to try to predict team success across the league is returning even strength goals from 16-18 year olds (in this case 2000-2002 born players).

This does not include potential overage players, which does skew things. But those can also be tough to predict sometimes due to pro contracts…and does not take into account goaltending.

But, this is definitely a tool that OHL teams use and I think gives us a pretty good early indicator of how good some OHL teams could be next season.”

East:
1. Peterborough (118).
2. Sudbury (99).
3. Ottawa (95).
4. Oshawa (90).
5. Hamilton (85).
6. Niagara (83).
7. Barrie (81).
8. Mississauga (76).
9. North Bay (63).
10. Kingston (41).
That is encouraging. Maybe there will be teams in a worst situation than us. Of course, I think our defence and goaltending might be our main problem this season.